Alkaline Eating

Alkaline Eating – Finding the Right Balance

There are a seemingly endless numbers of fad diets out there, all claiming to help individuals lose weight fast, but few allege the health benefits that come with the eating an alkaline diet. This popular diet, relatively new on the market, focuses on maintaining an optimal body pH, by limiting acid-producing foods and promoting the ingestion of alkaline-inducing alternatives. For those who follow an alkaline diet, finding the right balance is key and it can mean living a healthy, fulfilling life.

How does one achieve an optimal body pH?
By limiting acid-inducing substances, such as meats, dairy products and processed foods from our diet, one can reduce the acid found in the body. The key however isn’t simply to cut acidic foods from your meals, it’s about finding the right balance and supplementing your diet with alkaline foods, such as raw vegetables and fruits that will help you elevate and maintain a healthy pH level.

The goal of the Alkaline Diet is to maintain a 20/80 balance, where 20% of your daily intake comes from acidic foods and the remaining 80% from alkaline substances, including most fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, herbs and teas. The idea is that you will be helping your body maintain its optimum levels of alkalinity, between 7.35 and 7.45 pH, making sure that your organism doesn’t have to take nutrients from other parts of your body to keep this balance.

What are the Benefits to an Alkaline Diet

What foods can I eat on an Alkaline Diet?
The great thing about the Alkaline Diet is that you aren’t required to eliminate anything from your diet. It’s all about finding the right balance between the acidic and alkaline foods. Many fruits, vegetables, nuts and legumes are all considered alkaline and create a great part of the alkaline diet. Foods, such as lentils, onion, pineapple, sweet potato, watermelon and raspberries are highly alkaline, making great compliments to any meal and you can even add lime, lemon, sea salt, baking soda and vegetable juices for an added alkaline kick. The list of acceptable foods is quite extensive, so following the diet won’t be as hard as you think. As long as you are avoiding excessive amounts of acidic foods like breads, dairy products, meats and poultry, then you are on your way to achieving positive results.

Alkaline Diet

What are the Benefits to an Alkaline Diet?
While the Alkaline Diet does boast weight loss effects, it is so far down its list of benefits that few turn to the balanced diet for weight loss alone. Most importantly, those who achieve an alkaline state will be less likely to have cellular damage and disease that are common in individuals whose body is in a very acidic state. Some people even claim that an alkaline diet can help in the prevention of cancer, working on the basis that cancer tends to take hold when conditions are acidic.

Your organism will always try to find balance, even if that means pulling nutrients from your bones and other areas of the body. In order to avoid such detrimental processes, one should strive to achieve a more alkaline state. In doing so, not only will you improve your immune system, but you’ll also benefit from deeper and more restful sleep, an abundance of energy, improvement of arthritis, reduction of yeast development, improved digestion, and more youthful looking skin. The list of benefits goes on and on, but only those who adhere to the alkaline diet will truly feel the natural high from having a body in complete balance.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on pinterest


Recent posts


June Wellness

Enjoy a series of inspiring workshops, yoga classes, meditation sessions, healthy menu alternatives and tailored spa treatments.

Read More »