If you are looking for a rustic recipe for the best vegan apple pie, check out Ceara’s Kitchen, where you will also find other healthy vegan recipes that have been inspired by our need for delicious comfort food that also keeps our healthy lifestyles in check.
Ceara’s Recipe for Vegan Apple Pie
Ceara’s rustic vegan apple pie recipe will tempt your taste buds with cinnamon and spice as well as satisfy any sweet tooth. What makes her vegan apple pie recipe different to most traditional apple pies is that she adds pumpkin pie spice and lemon juice and a little vanilla extract. She also suggests using cornstarch to keep the apples from getting soggy.
What you will need for this vegan apple pie:
- Vegan pie crusts (top and/or bottom as desired)
- Flour (enough to roll out the raw pie crust)
- 1 tablespoon of cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cold water
- 4 cups of thinly sliced and peeled apples (Ceara recommends Granny Smith apples)
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon
- Half a teaspoon of pumpkin spice
- Half a cup of brown cane sugar
- 4 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
What you will need to do:
- Preheat oven to 375f/190c.
- Prepare your apple pie dish with the vegan pie crust
- Peel the apples and core them, cutting them in half and then slicing them.
- Put the apple slices into a bowl and add the vanilla extract and lemon juice, stirring carefully to cover all the apples.
- Add the cornstarch, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and brown sugar to a separate bowl and mix together. Then sprinkle over the apples and light stir once more to coat the fruit with the mixture.
- Place the apple mixture on top of your apple pie crust prepared in the pan, making a slight mound in the middle.
- Now is the time to cover your pie with the crust if you wish, brushing the top with cold water. You should then seal the edges of the vegan apple pie by pinching the two crust together.
- Sprinkle with sugar for that finishing touch and perforate a few times to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake the apple pie in the oven for 40 – 47 minutes or until the pastry is a golden brown color.
Do you have your own vegan apple pie secrets to share? Add a comment and share your tips.